Please be aware that all department facilities will be closed on Monday, May 30th, 2016 in observance of Memorial Day.

Let us know how we’re doing! Call our Customer Service Feedback Line at
314-615-SERV (7378)!

Contact your Department of Public Health

Follow your Department of Public Health on Facebook or Twitter

Animal Controll Lost a Pet?

Here's what to do!

Lost & Found Information:

Tags and microchips are your pet's Free Phone Call Home!

Hundreds of thousands of pets are vaccinated and registered by pet owners, area veterinarians and your Animal Control Services. Dogs and cats are required to be vaccinated for rabies. As this is done, veterinarians issue a Rabies Identification Tag which should immediately be put on your pet's collar. An identifying microchip can also be injected painlessly under a pet's fur. It serves as a backup identification method, since it can be read with a special scanner even if your pet loses its collar and tag.

If pets are found by Animal Control officers, tag numbers or microchip numbers are immediately checked in our computer to reunite lost pets with their owners. Pets can't tell authorities where they live - and tags serve as your pet's Free Phone Call Home!  This is the most important thing you can do for your pet.

If you've lost a pet - post signs, talk to mail carriers and children in the neighborhood, and check all animal shelters and other animal holding areas.

If I lose my pet ...

  • Begin your search as soon as pet is missing. Pets may not be held entire holding period if injured. Most shelters only hold animals 5-6 days!
  • Call and visit all area shelters. Leave your name and number with a description of pet on display board or in lost/found book.
  • Do not rely upon the shelter calling if the pet has no identification or microchip. It is the responsibility of the owner to visit each shelter in the area and look for their pet and check lost/found directories.
  • If allowed, post signs and leave a description of the pet with local police department. Talk with the letter carrier and meter reader.

If I find a pet?

Keep your distance unless you are sure you can safely handle the animal!

  • Call the area shelters with a description of the animal and tag information.
  • Take the animal to the nearest veterinarian or animal control to have it scanned for a microchip. If that is not possible, call the Animal Control to come to your residence and scan for a chip.
  • If the finder elects to keep the animal at their residence, call the area shelters and leave a description. Owners should check display board and lost/found books at shelters.
  • Place and frequently check lost/found ads in newspapers.
  • Talk to letter carrier.

To avoid animal bites

  • Never force a strange animal into a vehicle or enclosed area.
  • Do not handle an injured or sick animal! Call animal control.
  • Report All Animal Bites:
    • Saint Louis County   (314) 615-0650
    • City of St. Louis   (314) 353-5838
    • Or your local authorities.

Exotic or non-domestic animals may require registration. Contact your local authorities.