Historic Village at Faust Park
As St. Louis County has become progressively more developed many nineteenth century structures have been lost. However, Faust Historic Village continues to preserve the area's vernacular architecture and history. There are four homes and 14 other structures representing a variety of building and architectural styles, from log to brick. Spanning a period from the early 1800s to 1910, the Village illustrates differences in lifestyles representing how families, often of widely different backgrounds, lived and adapted not only to life on the frontier, but to the social and economic influences of the era.
Miles A. Seed Carriage House
The lone survivor of the estate of Miles A. Seed, an early inventor of photography equipment, this structure, designed for the storage of carriages and stabling of horses was brought to Faust Park from Jennings, Missouri. This building now serves as the Park Office and Visitor Center.
Hoch House (pronounced Hoke)
Relocated from the area of Chesterfield Pkwy and Olive Blvd. This single family home was built around 1880, by a second generation immigrant and brick maker, Henry Hoch. Unique to the park, this surviving brick cottage reflects the arrival of the middle class onto what was once rough frontier.
Originally located at Chesterfield Parkway and Conway Road, the barn was built in 1895 by George and Augusta Yokel and is a typical timber framed structure of its time. This building currently serves as a woodworking shop.
This elegant 1850s home was built by Dr. Frederick Bates, son of Missouri’s second governor. It was originally located across Olive Blvd from the park entrance.
Warmbrodt Summer Kitchen
Located in the Bates-Conway complex, originally from the Warmbrodt Farm, a pre-Civil War complex located on Lemay Ferry Road opposite Butler Hill Road.
Features medicinal, fragrance, culinary and ornamental plants, from period stock. All Village gardens are tended by dedicated volunteers. We ask that you please do not pick the plants as they were all donated by these wonderful volunteers.
Home of Ludwig and Salome Mertz, began as a modest, single room log home in 1848 when the family first arrived in the United States. By 1858 it had grown into a four room home to house their expanding family. On just thirty acres (now part of Maryville University), the family grew potatoes, corn, peas, and beans, with enough oats and hay to support eight dairy cows.
The original home is a two story log structure built sometime between 1817 when Steven Lanham bought the property and 1841 when he died. The house was renovated throughout the 1800s by different owners and today serves as an illustration of how a simple structure can be modernized and adapted to changing domestic technology over the space of a century.
The Sellenriek Barn
A log structure with a timber framed extension, was most likely built before the Civil War by a New Yorker named Hyam Henry Cohn. The property where it was located was purchased in 1865 by Frank Sellenriek the son of an immigrant from Prussia and remained in their family until it was donated to Faust Park in 1998 in memory of Erwin Sellenriek, one of the last owners. The Sellenriek farm was originally located across from the Mormon Temple on Hwy 40 in present day Town and Country.
The Schlueter-Bright Barn
Built by William Schlueter on land purchased in 1868, was located off of Sulphur Springs Rd south of Manchester on the modern Catania Dr. Schlueter’s grandson sold the farm to Edward Bright in 1937. In 1974, Bright deeded the remaining portion of the farm, which he called “Brightfield” to St. Louis County. After the barn was dismantled in the late 1980’s, it was rebuilt at Faust Park as part of the 1990 Folk Festival with the help of the Chesterfield Rotary Club.
Spanish Lake Blacksmith Shop
Built by a German immigrant named Jacob Wilhelm in Spanish Lake in 1875. Wilhelm had come to St. Louis to work as an ironworker on the Eads Bridge, the first permanent expansion bridge across the Mississippi. When the Eads Bridge was completed in 1874, Jake Wilhelm moved to Spanish Lake, building a house and shop near the present day intersection of Bellefontaine Road and Parker Road.
John DeSalme and Henry Ludwig built a blacksmith shop that stood at the intersection of Main Street and Ware Street in Fenton. That structure burned down in 1906 and the current building was erected in 1908 to replace it. It was in business until 1942.
Click here for a brochure with more detail about all of the structures within the Historic Village
Tours and Programs
The Historic Village is open for tours on select weekends in March, April, June and July. Staff in period costume offer a variety of demonstrations and free tours. Thornhill, the oldest standing governor’s residence in the State of Missouri, will also be open on select dates in Spring and Summer. Please call 314 615-8328 or find us on Facebook for more information.
A custom 90-minute tour that includes the inside and outside of the restored homes can be scheduled for groups of up to 50 people by appointment by calling 314 615-8FAU.
The Historic Village can be viewed from the outside year round.
Pets ARE NOT allowed in the historic areas of Faust Park