Parks COVID-19 Message
 

Status of St. Louis County Parks as of July 18, 2020 at 6:00 a.m. is the following:

Parks: Open

Trails: Open

Park Restrooms: Open

Campgrounds: Open

Sport Courts: Open

Playgrounds: Closed

Spraygrounds: Closed

Trail Exercise Stations: Closed

Drinking Fountains: Closed

Picnic Shelters and Sites: Open at reduced capacity. Online reservations are not available. Call us at (314) 615-4FUN to reserve.

Special Events: Allowed if DPH approves the event plan. Check with your event organizer.

Day Camps: check the updated Activity Guide

Programs: Started with modifications -- check the updated Activity Guide

Creve Coeur Park Soccer Complex: Open

Recreation Centers: Open

Museums: Open

Pools: Open (Kennedy Recreation Complex pool is closed due to mechanical issues. Timeline for reopening is TBD).

As programs and facilities re-open, social distancing is still required and capacities are likely to be reduced per Department of Public Health Re-Opening Guidelines.

Greensfelder Park

4515 Hencken Road

Park Hours
8 a.m. - 30 minutes past sunset

General Information / History
The land which is now Greensfelder Park was assembled in the 1850s by William T. Christy and Robert K. Woods of Woods, Christy & Co., which was primarily a dry goods company in downtown St. Louis. Woods and Christy formed a lumber company which logged the area. The property later passed to Christy’s son Calvin M. Christy, who extracted the clay and other minerals on the property for his Christy Fire Clay Company, organized in 1881. Christy sold the land to Charles Evans in 1893, and Evans is said to have offered a 300-acre tract to the City of St. Louis for use as a park. 

The area was donated to St. Louis County in 1963 by the Trustees of the St. Louis Regional Planning and Construction Foundation. The Foundation was established in 1939 by A. P. Greensfelder, civic leader and chairman of the board of the Fruin-Colnon Construction Company.

Originally called Rockwood Park, the park was officially renamed in September of 1965. The first phase of construction began in 1966 and was completed and dedicated in May 1967. Another major development involving picnic areas, the visitor center, the equestrian areas and a new barn utilized 1969 Bond Issue funds and was completed and dedicated in October 1973. Construction of a public shower and Muckerman Shelter was completed in November 1981. Most recent construction was the Myron Glassberg Pavilion. The Pavilion was donated by Sonya Glassberg in memory of her late husband. Construction was completed the spring of 1994.

A ropes initiative course was constructed in 1975 by Operations personnel and park rangers with the assistance of Minnesota Outward Bound personnel and the St. Louis Regional Experiential Adventure Movement (STREAM).

Click here for more history on Greensfelder Park


Features & Amenities
 + Playground
 + Trails
 + Team Challenge Course & Alpine Tower
 + Camp Sites
 
+ Nature Learning Center
 + Year-Round Restrooms
(Mustang Shelter restroom and Visitor's Center restroom until 1/1)
 + Reservable Shelters
Muckerman Shelter
Glassberg Shelter
Beulah Shelter

Otis Brown Shelter / Campsite
Mustang Shelter
Dogwood Shelter


View Park Events

Park Postings:

(As of 8/12/20 7:30 a.m.)

 

 Creve Coeur Closures:

Restroom Facilities near Tremayne Shelter, Greensfelder Shelter, and Go Ape closed due to power outage.

Marine Ave at Dorsett intersection closed due to down trees and power lines.

Creve Coeur Lake Trail along Marine closed due to flood cleanup efforts.


The Lone Elk Visitor Center is closed.  

The Kennedy Recreation Complex Pool is closed due to mechanical issues.

The 5 mile loop at Cliff Cave is closed due to flooding. The 1 mile loop is still open.


The Bottomland Trail at Blake C Snyder Park is closed.