Black Forest Park

9822 Perrin Avenue


Park Hours
8 a.m. - 30 minutes past sunset

General Information / History
The Black Forest tract is located in Block 3 of South Carondelet Suburbs, a subdivision laid out in 1857 by John C. Ivory. The Ivory Station of the Iron Mountain Railroad was located at the southeast corner of this block, at the east end of Ripa Avenue. 

In 1958, St. Louis County purchased the 4.25 acres. The following year a contract was set for development. The park was opened to the public in 1960. Initial park development included a restroom/shelter combination, a playground and one ballfield.

Austin Tao & Associates prepared a master plan for the park in 1984. Black Forest Park was rededicated on July 21, 1989. Park renovation was undertaken in 2003 using a grant from the Economic Development Incentive Program of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.

Click here
for more history on Black Forest Park.

Features & Amenities
 + Reservable Shelter
 + Basketball
 + Playground
 + Athletic Fields




View Park Events

Park Postings:

(as of 12/8/17 1:25 p.m.)

*Riverside trail at Simpson is open, however there is a 50 ft. section at the eastern most end that had to be re-routed and the footing is sand and dirt. Also, users should be cautious of sand smears across trail after rain events.

* Unger Park roads are open to Riverside trail parking lot, Riverside trail remains closed beyond this parking lot

* Sherman Beach and Al Foster trails are passable but have areas with sand and debris on them

* The Bottomland Trail along Grant's Trail was severely damaged during periods of heavy rain. For safety reasons, this short trail has been closed. Plans are being developed to relocate the trail away from Gravois Creek.

* The east side of Cliff Cave Road including the field, River Bluff trail and Spring Valley trail are closed at Cliff Cave Park for Construction.