4515 Hencken Road
8 a.m. - 30 minutes past sunset
General Information / History
The land which is now Greensfelder Park was assembled in the 1850s by William T. Christy and Robert K. Woods of Woods, Christy & Co., which was primarily a dry goods company in downtown St. Louis. Woods and Christy formed a lumber company which logged the area. The property later passed to Christy’s son Calvin M. Christy, who extracted the clay and other minerals on the property for his Christy Fire Clay Company, organized in 1881. Christy sold the land to Charles Evans in 1893, and Evans is said to have offered a 300-acre tract to the City of St. Louis for use as a park.
The area was donated to St. Louis County in 1963 by the Trustees of the St. Louis Regional Planning and Construction Foundation. The Foundation was established in 1939 by A. P. Greensfelder, civic leader and chairman of the board of the Fruin-Colnon Construction Company.
Originally called Rockwood Park, the park was officially renamed in September of 1965. The first phase of construction began in 1966 and was completed and dedicated in May 1967. Another major development involving picnic areas, the visitor center, the equestrian areas and a new barn utilized 1969 Bond Issue funds and was completed and dedicated in October 1973. Construction of a public shower and Muckerman Shelter was completed in November 1981. Most recent construction was the Myron Glassberg Pavilion. The Pavilion was donated by Sonya Glassberg in memory of her late husband. Construction was completed the spring of 1994.
A ropes initiative course was constructed in 1975 by Operations personnel and park rangers with the assistance of Minnesota Outward Bound personnel and the St. Louis Regional Experiential Adventure Movement (STREAM).
Click here for more history on Greensfelder Park
Features & Amenities
+ Team Challenge Course & Alpine Tower
+ Camp Sites
+ Nature Learning Center
+ Reservable Shelters
Otis Brown Shelter / Campsite