Lone Elk Park
I-44 North Outer Road west of Highway 141
1 Lone Elk Park Rd
Construction Notification: The MoDOT construction at the Interstate 44 and Highway 141 intersection has rerouted how park guests can access Lone Elk Park and Lower Buder Park. The best way to get to the park is headed westbound on Interstate 44:
- Take the Exit 272 (for Highway 141) and get into the right hand lane.
Click here for aerial view of the directions
- Before getting to 141, turn right into a new roundabout.
- Take the 1st exit off the roundabout for Buder Park.
- Take the 2nd (only other option) exit off the roundabout for Lone Elk Park
- Follow the road (North Highway Drive -- same road as it used to be) under 141 and along Interstate 44 to Lone Elk Park.
The park officially opens at 7 a.m. in the summer and 8 a.m. in the winter. However, the gates are physically opened and the public is free to enter by 6:30-7 a.m. year round. The park closes 30 minutes past sunset.
General Information / History
Lone Elk Park is a wildlife management area, with bison, wild turkey, waterfowl, elk and deer.
Motorcycles are prohibited. Domestic animals are not allowed, even if confined in a vehicle.
The park acreage was once part of the Tyson Valley Powder Plant used for the testing and storage of ammunition during WWII. After the War, the area served as a County Park, and in 1948 herds of elk and bison were established. The land was re-acquired by the Federal Government during the Korean War, and for safety reasons the wildlife herds were destroyed in 1958. However, one lone bull elk survived.
In 1964 St. Louis County reacquired a portion of the original tract from the General Services Administration and in 1966 the name was changed from Tyson Park to Lone Elk County Park. Six additional elk were obtained from Yellowstone National Park in 1966 through the efforts of the children of the Rockwood School District and West St. Louis County Lions Club.
The park was officially opened to the public on October 17, 1971. Six bison were acquired from the St. Louis Zoo in July 1973.
Click here for more history on Lone Elk Park
Features & Amenities
Due to the lake leak last summer, Lone Elk lake will be closed to fishing in 2017 to rebuild the fish population. If you have questions, please contact us at PMailbox@stlouisco.com. The tentative plan for 2018 is to open for a limited time in June and then reopen for a full rental season in the fall.
+ Animal Viewing
Staff feed the animals first thing in the morning. The best time to view the animals is before 8 a.m.
+ Year-Round Restroom (Visitor's Center - closed for construction)
+ 2 Reservable Shelters