West Tyson Park

131 North Outer Road East


Park Hours
8 a.m. - 30 minutes past sunset

General Information / History
Originally, a part of the Federal Government’s Tyson Valley Powder Plant, the initial 240 acres of West Tyson was conveyed to St. Louis County in 1955. In 1979, St. Louis County purchased the additional 410 Mincke Tract with a L&WCF grant. This tract is just north of the original park. The whole park includes rugged wooded uplands which typify Ozark beauty, steep bluffs, flood plain, and a portion of the Meramec River.

In 1985, the Chubb Trail, which was developed by the St. Louis County Department of Parks and Recreation and the Missouri Department of Natural Resources through the cooperative efforts of MRRA, was opened. The trail is open to hikers, equestrians and mountain bikes. Access to the Chubb Trail can be obtained through either West Tyson or Lone Elk County Parks.

Click here for more history on West Tyson Park

Features & Amenities
 + Trails
 + Year-Round Restroom (Campsite restroom)
 + Group Camping
 + Roth Lodge



View Park Events

Park Postings:

(as of 12/8/17 1:25 p.m.)

*Riverside trail at Simpson is open, however there is a 50 ft. section at the eastern most end that had to be re-routed and the footing is sand and dirt. Also, users should be cautious of sand smears across trail after rain events.

* Unger Park roads are open to Riverside trail parking lot, Riverside trail remains closed beyond this parking lot

* Sherman Beach and Al Foster trails are passable but have areas with sand and debris on them

* The Bottomland Trail along Grant's Trail was severely damaged during periods of heavy rain. For safety reasons, this short trail has been closed. Plans are being developed to relocate the trail away from Gravois Creek.

* The east side of Cliff Cave Road including the field, River Bluff trail and Spring Valley trail are closed at Cliff Cave Park for Construction.