Special Use Permits

Missouri State Statutes empower the Department of Transportation with the authority to issue Special Use Permits for work proposed within all public right-of-way designated as part of the St. Louis County Arterial Road System (ARS). This authority also extends to work on all dedicated public right-of-way in unincorporated St. Louis County, and to certain easements for sidewalk and drainage projects.

Permits shall be required for, but not limited to, the following categories of work: utility operations, municipal operations, service connections, commercial and industrial developments, residential developments, individual residential driveways, movement of over-dimension and/or overweight vehicles, earth hauling, road closures, banner hanging, landscaping, ornamental entrances and sign installation. The specific application requirements and conditions for each of these different areas are detailed individually in Section 2 of the Department's "Special Use Permit Application Requirements and Conditions" manual

All applications, fees, plans correspondence and related information shall be submitted directly to:

St. Louis County Department of Transportation
Attention: Special Use Permit Section
41 South Central Avenue, 6th Floor
Clayton, Missouri 63105

Phone number: (314) 615-8517
(7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday-Friday).
Fax number: (314) 615-7084

At other hours, or on weekends and holidays, all phone communication shall be directed to the Department's Dispatcher at (314) 615-1111.