St. Louis County Auditor
The primary mission of the St. Louis County Auditor is to assist all members of the County Council, the County Executive, and County Directors and Elected Officials in the effective discharge of their responsibilities by providing them with independent analyses, appraisals, recommendations, and pertinent comments concerning policies, practices, procedures, controls, security of assets and quality and efficiency of performance in areas reviewed.
In fulfilling this mission, the County Auditor:
- Reviews and appraises the soundness and adequacy operations, and promotes effective control at reasonable cost;
- Evaluates the extent of compliance with established policies, practices, and procedures, and promotes improvements as required;
- Reviews the level to which assets are accounted for and protected from loss;
- Appraises the reliability and accuracy of management data and information;
- Assesses the quality of performance; and
- Evaluates the efficiency and effectiveness of operations.
This process is intended to help improve St. Louis County operations, fiscal accountability and taxpayer services, and to help educate citizens and policymakers regarding the operations of their government.
The County Auditor is directly responsible to the St. Louis County Council. This reporting relationship is critical to maintaining the County Auditor's independence and impartiality.
Audit Standards and Ethics
Audit work of the County Auditor’s Office shall be performed in accordance with US Government Accountability Office (GAO) as advocated by the Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA) in the International Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing and the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants in Statements on Auditing Standards (AICPA).
Members of the County Auditor’s Office have the responsibility to maintain high standards of conduct, independence and character to carry on proper and meaningful internal auditing within St. Louis County. In addition, the County Auditor’s Office activities and conduct shall be consistent with the policies of St. Louis County.