In the U.S., 2,000 pets are euthanized every hour. Please help stop unnecessary deaths. Be a responsible pet owner.
Selecting The Right Pet
- Selecting the right pet is the first and most important step. The “wrong” pet makes for an unhappy pet AND an unhappy owner.
- Consider your lifestyle: Do you have the time and energy to give your pet enough attention and exercise?
Spaying or Neutering Your Pet
- The rabies identification tag is your pet's “Free phone call home!”
- The law requires that pets wear rabies tags.
- The most common reason pets are not found: - No Identification!
- A frequent excuse for missing tags: “We just gave our pet a bath...”
What you, and only you, can do for your pet:
- Provide proper training.
- Confine dogs to your home or in a fenced yard.
- Keep cats indoors.
Average Life Span for Cats:
12 to 15 years
Proper Control, Vaccination and Care Assistance
- Finding a lost pet
- Adopting a pet
- Training a pet
- Financial aid for spaying and neutering or
- What to do if you can no longer keep a pet...
- Please call us at 314-615-0650 or visit our shelter for more information.
Pet Adoption Assistance
Surrendering an Animal to ACC
- We understand that parting ways with an animal can be especially difficult and we're committed to working with you to ensure the best possible solution for you and your pet.
- To surrender a pet to Saint Louis County Animal Care and Control, please call us at 314-615-0650 to schedule an appointment to surrender your pet.
- In order to ensure resources are ready and available when a pet arrives, Saint Louis County Animal Care and Control requires a scheduled appointment for owner surrenders. Without an appointment process, we would have no control over the number of pets that come into our care each day, and our ability to provide the best possible care for each animal would be hindered. If you do not wish to make an appointment, we can refer you to other rescues and shelters in the area.
- When you come to your appointment, please bring a driver’s license or other government issued ID and all of your pet’s veterinary records.
- We know that sometimes it’s just not possible to keep a pet. Before making the decision to surrender, please consider all of your options. Learn more about alternatives to surrendering your pet including other re-homing options.