Volunteers have the opportunity to assist at the Animal Care and Control Department in the following ways.
- Socializing pets to help them become more adoptable
- Exercising pets with walks and general play
- Build toys and enrichment items to keep the pets happy and occupied
- Help out at events by talking with the public and showcasing adoptable pets
Advanced volunteers may work with a local dog trainer to learn how to teach dogs basic manners that improve their overall behavior and make them more adoptable.
We welcome individual volunteers and groups looking for community service opportunities.
Interested? Next Steps
- Call us during regular business hours at 314-615-0650
- If you have not yet visited our shelter, please do so before completing a Volunteer Application to ensure that the types of pets we have here are ones with which you are comfortable. We are open 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday-Friday and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday/Sunday. No need to set an appointment, just come in and indicate you are interested in looking around at the dogs/cats. Be sure to sign in at the front desk and make note of the date and approximate time that you visited as you will be asked to provide that information prior to confirmation of your orientation.
- Complete the Volunteer Form
Once complete, click the submit button at the bottom. All minors under 16 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian at all times when volunteering. The parent or guardian must complete the application also.