Contact your Department of Public Health

Follow your Department of Public Health on DPH Facebook Page or DPH Twitter Site

Food Information for the New Owners/Operators of an Existing Food Establishment

Safe Food Center


Dear Potential New Owner/Operator of an Existing Food Establishment:

Congratulations on your decision to operate a food establishment in Saint Louis County! The Department of Health is here to assist you in taking over the operation of your facilities and help your establishment stay in compliance with all applicable codes. The Department has developed this web site to help you make your business venture a successful one. The following procedures can save you time and money:

If you are opening a new food establishment, submit, in person or via mail, plans, specifications, application(s), and fees

The Saint Louis County Department of Public Health
Division of Environmental Protection

6121 North Hanley Road
Berkeley, MO 63134

Phone: (314) 615-8900

John C. Murphy

Please contact our office (314) 615-8900 at least seven (7) days in advance to schedule a construction/plan review inspection. Only after the establishment passes the required construction/plan review inspection will Saint Louis County allow an operational/opening inspection to be scheduled for consideration of issuance of a food establishment permit. The two inspections are normally not conducted on the same day.

Important Information about Taking over the Operations of an Existing Food Establishment

Note: Saint Louis County Ordinance 25,124 prohibits the issuance of an annual permit or license by a county department unless the applicant for such permit or license is current on payment of taxes on tangible personal property. For Change of Ownership, proof of paid personal property tax or a merchant license is required along with the submittal of applications and fees. Any inquiries in reference to how to obtain a merchants license, copy of paid personal property tax for business or waivers should be directed to the Assessor’s Office at (314) 615-5104.