Thanks to the generosity of our St. Louis County Parks Foundation, we have been able to add a new GaGa Ball Pit inside Ohlendorf West Park in West St. Louis County.
What is GaGa Ball?
Gaga is a fast paced, high energy sport played in an octagonal pit. The more players the better! Dubbed a kinder gentler version of dodge ball, the game is played with a soft foam ball, and combines the skills of dodging, striking, running, and jumping, while trying to hit opponents with a ball below the knees. Players need to keep moving to avoid getting hit by the ball. Fun and easy, everyone gets a serious workout.
Rules of GaGa Ball:
1. Players start inside the pit touching the sides. One player throws the gaga ball up into the air. Players yell “Ga” as it bounces and the ball is in play after the second bounce (“Ga-Ga”).
2. Players can hit the ball with one hand, but cannot pick up and throw it.
3. If the ball touches a player anywhere on or below the waist, that player is eliminated.
4. A player cannot catch the ball, they may block it and “dribble” it for 3 seconds, then it must touch the wall or another player to be in play.
5. Players may not kick the ball since this means touching the ball below the knee.
6. If the ball is hit out of the pit, then the last player to touch the ball is out
7. Players who are out must leave the gaga pit immediately.
8. Players who are outside the pit after elimination who catch a ball leaving the pit earn another chance to go back into the pit to play.
9. The last player out is the winner and gets to start the next game.