The Materials Testing Laboratory (Testing Lab) Section provides laboratory, field, and source testing along with technical research to assure that materials used on Department maintained roadways meet the established standards of quality. The Testing Lab provides this support for Department administered projects, as well as for new subdivision construction (roads), Special Use Permit (SUP) work, and other Departments’/Divisions’ projects.
Specific Lab Activities include:
- Laboratory sampling, testing, reporting, testing equipment calibration & maintenance, and record keeping in accordance with the Materials Quality Assurance Manual.
- Asphaltic Concrete laboratory testing in accordance with MoDOT test methods and County Standard Specification.
- Concrete, hot mix asphalt and pre-cast manufacturing plant inspections and testing.
- Investigative core drilling of pavement
- Testing traffic striping paint.
- Tensile strength testing of reinforcing steel bars.
- Concrete compression testing for strength in accordance with MoDOT and County Standard Specifications.
- Concrete and asphaltic concrete mix design review.
- Laboratory soils and aggregate materials sieve analysis, Proctor, sand equivalency, and other related tests in accordance with MoDOT and County test methods.
- Radiation Safety Program in accordance with Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) and internal procedures, regarding the calibration, maintenance and use of nuclear gauges in the Region.
- Field density tests for hot mix asphalt, soil and aggregate bases with Nuclear Gauges (sand cone or dynamic cone penetrometer for Soil and aggregate bases).
- Sampling and testing of performance graded binders and emulsified asphalt in accordance with AASHTO and MoDOT test methods.
- Materials Standards and Specifications review and development.
The Materials Testing Laboratory is American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO) accredited through:
- AASHTO Materials Reference Laboratory (AMRL).
- Cement and Concrete Reference Laboratory (CCRL)
The Materials Testing Laboratory technicians are certified by:
For additional information contact Chief Materials Engineer at
- American Concrete Institute (ACI)
- Missouri Department of Transportation (MoDOT)
- Precast/Prestressed Concrete Institute (PCI)