Biography of Dr. John M. Anderson
Dr. John M. Anderson was born in 1916 in Colorado. He graduated with an undergraduate degree in chemistry from Colorado State University. He continued his training by accepting a job in microbiology at Homer G. Phillips Hospital in St. Louis, Missouri.
After working at the hospital for over twelve years, Dr. Anderson was accepted into Meharry Medical College in 1954. He graduated with honors in 1958 and returned to Phillips Hospital to intern.
At the completion of his internship, he worked and completed his residency at Washington University. Throughout his medical training, Dr. Anderson gave back to the community by working at the Murphy Blair Clinic, Elisabeth Courtney Clinic, Yeatman Clinic and, Malcolm Bliss Hospital.
Dr. Anderson had a private practice in the Central West End for 28 years until his death in 1986. While in practice, he was a Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association, a member of the Mound City Medical Forum, St. Louis Medical Society, Eastern Missouri Psychiatric Association and Missouri State Medical Society.
In 1963 he was awarded the Meharry Medical College’s President’s Award for 25 years of service to mankind.
Dr. Anderson married Mary Ellen Johnson in 1944 and had three children. John J. (Karen) is retired and currently residing in Elkhorn, Wisconsin; Dr. Dale Anderson (Susie), a psychiatrist in private practice, currently lives in St. Louis; and Bruce, a music professor at New York University, who passed away in 1991.